Thursday, November 30, 2006

a visit from Stone

Oaked Arrogant Bastard, in sixers 2006

Some dude from Stone came down and gave a tasting. Started with the smoked porter, which I've had on tap. It was very tasty and not too bacon-y or bbq-y, but I don't know if I'd go out of my way to buy bottles. On tap though, it's pretty great.
Then there was Stone IPA, which is of course awesome. Definitely one of the most drinkable high-hop IPAs out there, and such a bright flavor.
Then we tried a bit of Ruination, which I think is my second favorite of their line.
After Ruination was plain Bastard, which I must admit is moderately dissapointing from the bottle. It's great on tap, but the malty sweetness is a bit much from the bottle.
Oak-aged Bastard 2006, however, tasted great from the bottle, and I think this is the first year they're doing it in sixers (albeit for $15). The aging really balances out the flavors and brings out ... something. I guess whatever it is that's hiding in the bottled Bastard as compared to the tap. I have had the oaked on tap, and I don't think it's really that much better than the bottled.
My favorite Stone beer is the Double Bastard, 2006. I think it is better this year than it has been, and I'm considering adding it to my top-shelf (literally, I put beers like this on the top shelf where no one else can reach them so I can leave them for a year or so). I'm not sure how long I'll be able to hold out considering there will be three of my favorite beers in the world sitting up there, ostensibly for a year, but we'll see. Either way they'll be great.

So, not surprisingly, Stone comes through again. I bought the sixer of oaked Bastard, so I'll take a couple pictures and maybe talk a little more about it later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home