Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Oskar Blues' Old Chub Scottish Style Ale

I'm still not sure why this brewery insists on distributing in cans, especially considering how damned good their Gordon IPA is. I'm also not sure where the 8% alcohol is in this smooth, mildly sweet Scottish ale is. They mention "huge quantities of caramel and chocolate malts," but this is quite dissimilar to your typical 'smokehouse' porter or most American stouts. It does not match particularly well with peach shisha, so I'm not sure what to say about the food matching aspect, but I'm sure it would go well with pretty much anything considering how surprisingly smooth it is. The underlying flavor is something like caramel, but maybe a very buttery caramel with a lot of pure beer flavor. It tastes basically the same all over the tongue and at the beginning and end of the taste and of the pour. This is one of the best aftertastes of any 'ale' style I've had. It's a strange beer, and certainly not 'extreme,' but I highly recommend it as an any time beer. It comes in sixers for around $8, so it's not too hard on the wallet, and it leaves little to be desired for alcohol content. I'm satisfied. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home