Sunday, October 29, 2006

Brooklyn, Steenberge (Draak, Piraat, Augustijn, Bornem), CBC, Saxo, Abbaye des Rocs, Girardin, Verhaeghe

Brooklyn Brewery: http://www.brooklynbrewery.com

BLAST hoppy. tasty. not as good as the Belgian version, but still very nice.

Brouwerij Van Steenberge: http://www.vansteenberge.com

Piraat apparently pronounced “pihr-ahh.” crazy flems. I remember liking it, I don’t remember why.

Gulden Draak cooler bottle than beer. it’s a dark triple, which is kinda interesting. It was a little sweet for my tastes. Still malty and flavorful. I’d still buy it at a bar, but only as a dessert after probably a red meat meal. the description says it has lots of vitamins. who knew?

Augustijn Interesting. not my favorite. actually tasted a little skunky. I wonder if something went wrong in shipping?

Bornem Double soft dark double. very tasty.

Bornem Triple a good tripel. of course, I like the double better.

Cambridge Brewing Co: http://www.cambridgebrewingcompany.com

I get the impression that this is Boston’s Bosco’s. Expensive, but good. I’ve heard they actually have a good Oktoberfest.

Bière de Miel honey ale. surprisingly good and not too sweet. tastefully done.

Weekapaug Gruit: dark ale. lots of herbs and stuff. malty and nice, though somewhat un-beer-like.

D&V Intl (importer) http://www.specialtybeer.com

Imports a huge selection of fancy beers. Tried this one late, so I don’t remember it particularly well. They weren’t as solid as Artisanal or B. United, but they had some nice offerings.

- Brasserie Caracole: Saxo my favorite at this table. a blonde ale, nonetheless.

- Brasserie de l’Abbaye des Rocs: Grand Cru sweet, strong. dessert.

- Brouwerij Girardin: Gueuze 1882 Black Label lambic. not bad, citrusy. Apparently there’s something special about the way they make these, but without knowing that before tasting, I’m not sure it’s worth the effort.

- Brouwerij Verhaeghe: Echte Kriekenbier Flemish cherry ale. Not bad despite its inherent flaws.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home