Thursday, October 26, 2006

Aventinus 2001



German: Schneider Aventinus, 2001.

It was great. The aged version even comes with fancy paper wrapping. There was a lot of nasty crap on the bottom of the bottle, but I think that's a good thing. Sadly, the best glass I had was Sam Adams, but the glass isn't all that dissimilar.
Honestly, I think it's just as good, though in a very different way, as the same beer fresh. The difference reminds me of most cask-conditioned IPAs, which taste great both fresh and aged, but for different reasons. I think that fans of Aventinus should keep an eye out for this beer from years past, but I wouldn't bother leaving it in a cellar for 5 years. It doesn't improve, neccessarily, for my tastes, but it certainly is a worthwhile experience. Anyway, this should be considered a rave review because the beer was bad-ass. All in perspective.

2 Comments:

Blogger quill7111 said...

Interesting. I've been an Aventinus fan since I tried it the first time in Germany a few years ago, but I've always had it fresh. As far as beer ageing goes, Aventinus seems like it would do well, but it probably has a long fermentation/conditioning period in the first place, so it's hard to say how much the extra time would add to flavor. I'd be really interested in a side-by-side comparison of a "fresh" (such that that's possible in the states...) bottle and an aged bottle. Well, I guess the ideal would be an aged bottle and the tap in Munich or Kellheim, but it'll be awhile before we can try that one... mmmm draft aventinus... I need to post a pic of the Aventinus glass when I get access to my photos again. It's the best Weißbier glass ever. For serious...

11:35 PM  
Blogger FretlessC said...

yeah this place in ATL (which you will need to go to if you're ever there. it's actually in Decatur) called Brick Store Pub has both American "fresh" Aventinus (which I wouldn't doubt is over a year old at least) and aged Aventinus (at a price more than I'm willing to pay). That's the best I've got. On the other hand, if someone who's in Germany now could find a place with it on tap (and the organic weiss too if possible), I could keep an eye out for the aged version in the states. I could even bring a new bottle and an aged bottle, to do a drunkifying and intensely tasty comparison.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home