Sunday, October 08, 2006

booze news 2006-10-08

U.K.: J.W. Lee's "Harvest.": "ale matured in calvados casks, brewed in 2004." With an APV of 11.5%, ringing in at $6 a 275ml bottle, and having been aged for two years in some fancy cask, this beer has all of the trappings of a fancy-ass wine. Except the taste. I don't know what a Calvados cask is, but I imagine it must be something used for port or transporting sugar. I know they need sugar to boost the alcohol so high, but this is honestly just way too sweet. I think it's most comparable to a belgian style quadrupel, though usually they aren't quite so sweet. You'd think the Brits would know better. For those who don't drink trappist beer regularly, it tastes like un-spiced apple cider, with extra sugar and a shot of everclear. Ok, that was cruel, the alcohol flavors are actually enjoyable, and I didn't not enjoy the beer. I just wish I hadn't dropped $6 - three 40s - on this 'highly recommended' limited edition stuff. Honestly, for a dollar more, I could have gotten an amazing Belgian quadrupel on tap at Publick House. So, this is one strike against many positive points for the wine-gallery near me. Maybe they just reccomended it to get it off their shelves, but prior reccomendations have included some really good ones.

Chicago: Stockyard Oatmeal Stout: 'Irish style' stout, but don't think Guinness. This one has oatmeal in it. Anyway, nicely chocolate-y/coffee-y and oat-y. It's nothing to write home about, but at $5 for a sixer at Trader Joe's, it's an amazing deal. Trader Joe's has %100 positive reviews from me so far as far as brews go. Their "Black Toad Stout" was also very smooth and nice, and around $5.50 a six pack, and their "Fat Weasel" Ale is like a Long Trail Double Bag (high alcohol 'double-alt' whatever that means) except not quite as smooth. Same price as the stout. I'm of course afraid to try the amber lager (as with all amber lagers) and the 'oktoberfest,' but anyway, it's cheap and good.

1 Comments:

Blogger FretlessC said...

I guess by "bite," I meant that there's more carbonation and maybe a little more bitterness. It tastes colder, and maybe is better served colder. Anyway, I'm not much for terminology, that's why you're here ;-).

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home