Sunday, November 12, 2006

Rapscallion Creation: Reserve Dark Ale

Rapscallion Creation 

Honestly, I bought the four-pack for the glass, which is pretty sweet, but I'm not dissapointed with the cold-one either. It tastes best about ten minutes out of the fridge, and I don't mean that it should be "cold," but instead that it tastes best when it's on its way down to the typical 'warm' beer temp. This is another dark ale with strong caramel. It's smooth, but not too smooth (could I be any more vague?).
It gets a pretty good rating from Beer Advocate, where it's described as an "American Strong Ale," (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/59/6939). This puts it in the same category as Double Bastard and Old Stock, which is not a very appropriate comparison. However, they know much more about this stuff than I do, so I'll take their word for it. For me, it tastes more like the Lithuanian Baltic porter listed below. As one of the reviewers says, it's a little tart, but I like that. I think "tart" is a better word than "sour," though I'm not sure why. It's thin and yeasty. It's not a whole lot of anything in particular, but I think that the reviews I've seen of this cold-one are too harsh. Another Blogger review http://orbitalr0x.blogspot.com/2006/02/rapscallion-creation.html by Don Thompson does it some justice I think. It does hide the alcohol well. This beer isn't exceptionally exciting, but it's tasty and worth the little splurge I made for the cold-ones and the glass. Rapscallion's experimenting; I like that. RateBeer.com also was relatively harsh: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/concord-rapscallion-creation/18343/ Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger FretlessC said...

I forgot to say one important thing: main flavor is apple cider.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home