Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter


Useful Link #1: http://www.ralphsteadman.com/ The website for the artist who designed all of FLying Dog's labels. He has recently published some kind of memoir of his friendship/collaboration w/ Hunter S. Thompson. Amusing quote from his website: "Hunter always hated me to write anything and warned me that it would bring shame on my family. So be it, but that would only be the case if what I wrote was bad."
You may also recognize his work from such classics as Cardinal Zin

and Savage Journey

He of course also does work unrelated to drugs, alcohol, or gonzo.
Oh yeah, I'm drinking this cold one, and it's real good.
So, I tried to think of a good sampling of some crazy American beers to taste to the Germans that visited tonight. Oskar Belu Dale's PA, Flying Dog Gonzo Imp. Porter, Weyerbacher Blasphemy oaked quad, and Victory Hop Wallop. It turns out, neither really drinks beer so much. While I'm a little sad at not being able to show off our fancy beerness, I'm glad to have a serious stock of fancy beers now at my disposal.
Anyway, the Gonzo Imp. Porter. is awesome. I think it's restored my infatuation with heavy beers. Not that I care, but here's what the top reviewers at Beer Advocate say: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/24071/?sort=topr&start=0. The scent is a little awkward - alcohol w/ hops and caramel, but certainly pleasant. Thin foam at edges and a little in middle plus thick opaque dark brown color make it look a lot like good coffee. Only, I wish I could make my coffee have this much body. Nice body without feeling heavy. Much like a baltic porter, but I guess the dry hopping gives it a nice extra kick. I'm sure the "double porter" thing means something too, but I don't know what it implies exactly. Anyway, I don't feel like thinking too much about the beer, so I'll stop, but it's good. I'm glad I dropped a little extra cash to get this four pack. Plus the artwork rocks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home