Monday, June 18, 2007

Radeberger Pilsner

GEBRAUT NACH DEM DEUTSCHEN REINHEITSGEBOT VON 1516!
Zutaten: Wasser, Gerstenmalz, Hopfenextrakt.
From BEER_webalbum

The first in a series of beers stashed in checked luggage. Most of these were purchased last minute at a getranckerei(?) or whatever that place is called. I picked this one up because it was the only one Wanja had tried and remembered liking from the canned selection. There were more, but I had had many of them before in the states and decided to stick with novelty over comparing German vs. American sources of German beer. I wanted a can because it's easy to pack. Anyway, this pilsner (surprisingly) tastes like a pilsner. Bitter, good with wurst, (making me crave currywurst actually), light golden color and frothy head that stirs up to make a nice crown and disappears half way through. Definitely a nice beer to have around. If I made frequent trips to Germany, I would consider buying a case of this or another canned Pils to bring back and fill my maß on a regular basis. This would also cause me to order hot dogs from Spike's more often and probably even buy meat at the grocery store. So, maybe it's good that I don't have this beer around. I must say, I'm coveting the ability to find a good Pils or HefeWeizen on any corner for less than 2 €uros. Anyway, pretty good pils. The Allstrom bros like it: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2974/799/?ba=bros and so do BA's top reviewers: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2974/799/?sort=topr&start=0 It is important to note that they're talking about a Radeberger bought in the US in a bottle, so who knows how different that is. Anway, I agree with most of the stuff, except all the crap using words like "herbal" and "tingle." I never thought I would criticize people for being too "girly" with their beer descriptions (for lack of a better word, please forgive me female gender), but come on guys. It's a pilsner and it tastes good. No need for "fresh husked grain in the nose"… though I do appreciate many reviewers who write like this but keep referring back to words that mean something to me like "carbonation" and "hop profile."
BTW, I know your keyboard has a number pad hidden somewhere, and if it does you can do this:
ß alt + 0223
€ ... 0128
… 0133
£ 0163
ä 0228
ü 0252

etc. full descriptions are easily googled w/ something like "alt codes" or "alt 0233"
(the infamous french é).

2 Comments:

Blogger quill7111 said...

Also fun to note that Radeberger is one of the few companies from the DDR (former East Germany) that's still around and relatively popular. I suppose one should also note that Radeberger has been around since 1872, roughly 80 years before the DDR was created, and it has grown to become a national brand in the almost 20 years since the fall of the wall. Proving conclusively that beer is more popular than communism...

8:30 PM  
Blogger wichtelwesen said...

pretty nifty keyboard trick.

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home