Saturday, April 21, 2007

Beer Summitt, 2007

For some reason, I like the word "Summit" with two "t"s. I made a sweet photomontage of the coasters I picked up, but I forgot to upload it before Laura deleted everything on her camera in prep. for Hawaii. This includes the Allagash "Musette." I'm pissed about that one, cause if I'm going to pay $15 for one 750mL bottle, I'd better get a picture out of it, but it's my fault.
Anyway, the short of it is that you're going to have to read this without pictures. I know no one likes stories with no pictures, but you're going to have to suck it up for this one.
SO the Boston Beer Summit is this thing put on by some unknown entity, presumably Sam Adams. To their chagrin, I didn't even stop by their place since I can go to the brewery and try their fancier beers any day for free. And this was a $30 ticket, so I wasn't about to waste my tolerance on that. The event comes with tickets. You get 10 tickets or something and you're supposed to use one for each tasting, but as the first pourer informed me, the tickets are about as useful as the president saying he's going to cut the deficit. The pourers were even more merciless than at beer fest, partially because the little plastic glasses are even bigger, with a line about 1/3 of the way up that was never even half the liquid level. Towards the end, we bought fancy glasses (Spaten Optimator, Stone Ruination (I think, or maybe double Bastard? I don't remember. It's on the shelf, which is not within arm's reach). Now Laura and I have a fancy stash of cold-one containers including those, a Delirium Tremens glass, and a Lowenbrau Ma♠ (spade = funny German letter that I don't know the code for...) Anyway, sweeet. The problem is that once you have a glass, they start pouring you full beers, which ended in me forgetting pretty much everything. All I have now is vague memories and notes written on the backs of coasters, so here's the summary of the findings:
I have a "Jenlain" coaster. It doesn't look like a beer I would like, so I'm assuming the writing on the back is the important part, "Long Leg", which with a quick Google search seems to be Cameron's Long Leg, a Golden Ale/Blonde with a 46% rating on RateBeer (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/camerons-long-leg/37034/29087/). I'm guessing I was already drunk when I wrote this one down, or maybe I just felt bad for the guy pouring it. Anyway, it couldn't have been awful. So I give this one a hazy one thumb up.
I got an Oskar Blues coaster cause they rock, as well as a Left Hand.
Also, Hazed & Infused was better than I expected for something that's widely available in Boston.
Heavy Seas, who have impressed me with a few sixers, showed up well w/ Winter Storm and Southern Tier IPA, both of whose names are self explanatory.
Sebago's IPA and Heffe W. were both tasty, and the next door Ithica Red and Double IPA were nice, the former more than the latter. The red was surprisingly hoppy and festive. I don't know what festive means, but I think it's a good description anyway.
Magic Hat's H IPA was not as bad as I expected, given that their previous IPAs have not been impressive.
Sea Hag's IPA was good as expected, though I was not impressed by the lager or amber. Mainly cause I don't really go for lagers or ambers.
Lastly, from Stone Coast, I did not like the Knuckleball Bock one bit, but the 420 IPA was very nice, and they even gave me a little card with info about it. Munton's malts and Yakima-grown hops, whatever that means. 6.5% alky, and no info on IBUs. bastards. anyway, I liked this one enough to circle it twice. The imperial IPA was good, but I liked 420 better than 840 (do they really think they can just double 420 like that?) Anyway, they stole the name from Sweetwater (Atlanta).
There was a Polish stand that I remember vaguely. Zywiec was nice as always, and the rest were crap.
So that's all the info I remember. Hope it's been useful for someone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home