Friday, April 06, 2007

Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock

From BEER_webalbum


It's hard to do this bottle justice. I think it's the coolest bottle I've ever seen, at least in terms of bottles with little goat trinkets.

I haven't uploaded the picture yet, but I'm drinking the last one and I don't want to write retrospectively.
This is, unsurprisingly, a great beer. It's won many awards, gets a 92 from BeerAdvocate raters (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39/131/?ba=bros), a 100 from ratebeer (http://ratebeer.com/Beer/ayinger-celebrator-doppelbock/1090/), and was suggested to me as 'the best doppelbock' by the beer guy at the beer-snob-store, who seems to know everything. I love the goat thing, and I now have them tied up in nooks and crannies around the house.
So, a little criticism since there's so much praise for this cold one: $12 is a lot for a four pack, even one of the best doppelbocks ever. I honestly still prefer Aventinus and some of the American bastardized double bocks.. (is that what we call them?) This cold one definitely does not match up well with fried chicken fingers and barbecue sauce. I guess that's fodder for a pils or even a smoked porter or something.
So, on to the praise: The head has great retension, though it's thin. Nice and fluffy. nice lacing all the way down. The strong, sweet malt doppelbock character comes through forcefully, but the hoppiness is what makes this beer for me. It's extremely well balanced with a great mouthfeel. I don't really need to try to explain the details, it's all been said before. Anyway, I'm glad I found this. It's usually sold out very quickly. I hope to buy it cheaply on tap in Germany.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home