Sunday, June 17, 2007

American Beer Fest 20007

I need to write about Germany, but now I'll write about the beer fest while it's still vaguely in my memory.
Something cool on the topic of homebrew I just found off the Flying Dog website: http://www.opensourcebeerproject.com
In other news, here's a good Allstrom Bros review of SeaHag IPA, which I reviewed previously: http://beeradvocate.com/news/stories_read/715 I think they're a little harsh, but the flavors are effusively but comprehensively described. Hate to say it, but the way people seem to write about beer almost makes me not want to deal with fancy beers and beer snobs. Almost.
Sadly, my tolerance ran out long before I could try all the stuff I wanted. Of what I tried, here are those that stood out:

#1 most interesting brewer:
Livery (Benton Harbor, MI) liverybrew.com apparently doesn't bottle, so i guess they were just showing off. Started w/ Cherry Jubilee "belgian amber ale blended w/ 40% Montmorency cherry juice then aged in brandy cask for 6 mos (7.5%)." I thought it would suck because of the cherry, but the cherry flavor was surprisingly mild and worked very well w/ the ale. Cousin Jax Imperial PA (aged in oak for 6 mos, 8.5%) was also pretty bad-ass. DoublePaw IPA "single hop, single malt IPA w/ huge citrus-pine character" was great. Tastes like the description. Liverator Doppelbock (aged in oak for 6 mos, 7.5%). I'd never had an oak aged doppelbock, and it was amazing.

Craziest (good) beer:
South Tier (Lakewood, NY) southerntierbrewing.com Unearthly IPA. "vigorously hopped imperial IPA at 153 IBU and weighing in at 11%". Probably slightly smoother than Rogue Old Crustacean, though it's difficult to compare this fresh tapped beer to an aged, bottled Old Crustacean.

In ABC order

Allagash: Curieux tripel in bourbon barrels 11%. Think bourbon flavor may be too strong and sweet in a bottle, but on tap this is very nice. Hopefully will find at Publick House, Sunset, or Deep Ellum. Hugh Malone hoppy "w/ notes of pine and grapefruit, malty palate, dry hoppy finish (8.5%)." That's a good description, and it was good. Inoculator aged in oak w/ cherries, fermented w/ Roesalare yeast 9.5%. Not incredible. Interlude: maybe my favorite Allagash. "fermented first using a Belgian farmhouse yeast and 2nd w/ a house strain of Brettanomyces yeast, aged in French Merlot and Syrah wine barrels (9.5%)." Pleasantly sour, and the aging is done tastefully.

Brooklyn: Blast! I guess I'll quote them: "A rare and riotous celebration of hops; spiced w/ 5 lbs of hops per barrel; Ahtanum, Cascade, Willamette, Palisade, East Kent Golding, Northdown, Challenger, and Fuggle. Scottish Maris Otter and German Pilsner malts (8.2%)." very nice, though I'm not sure what it means to have so many types of hops, but they tasted good. Abbey Singel. Apparently this is a lighter beer of the style drank by monks when they don't want something outrageously strong. It was like a tripel, but weaker. Pretty nice and refreshing. Could be a very good introduction to Belgians for the uninitiated, or just good if you wanna drink your Belgian beer down. Local 1: bottle re-fermented w/ german barley malt and hops and Mauritanian sugar and Belgian yeast. 9%. Continuously impressed by this brewery.

Cambridge Brewing Co: I didn't actually make it by, but I tried the Red God IPA at Bukowski's and I really liked it. Description: "Huge, deep-garnet-colored, strong ale w/ an epic amount of hop character; hopped and dry-hopped w/ Tomahawk, Amarillo, and Simcoe..." Maybe "epic" is a bit much, but it was really good. Also, they describe "YouEnjoyMyStout," Imperial stout aged over 1.5yrs in oak bourbon barrels. Sounds awesome. Wish I hadn't missed it.

Clipper City (Heavy Seas): Loose Cannon Hop3, which I've described before, was awesome on cask. Peg Leg Imperial Stout was good, but no different from other imperial stouts.

Dogfish Head: I missed the World Wide Stout somehow. 18%. wtf?

Flying Dog: Only tried Woody Creek White, which was pretty nice "Belgian style white beer brewed w/ orange peel and coriander 4.7%." I don't know that I'd want a sixer, but if I found it in a mix pack I'd be happy.

Harpoon: Peche tasted like peaches. Wish I'd tried this though: Pre-Prohibition Lager: The way American Lagers used to taste. Malty and bitter, 20% flaked maize along w/ N. American grown 6-row barley, bittered w/ American Nugget and finished w/ old country Nobles.

Jolly Pumpkin: Luciernaga "...grand cru... Coriander and Grains of Paradise... 6.5%" was pretty nice.

Lagunitas: Sirius high gravity cream ale (7.6%). I really liked this one. Under Cover Shutdown Ale: Imperial ESB (10%). Was also goood.

Magic Hat: Kerouac Beet Beer. bad pun, boring beer. even though I love beets. Wit bier lame.

Narragansett Beer. Bock: lots of barleys and very tasty. surprisingly interesting. a lot like barley tea. didn't try the lager, but i'm confident that it tastes like a lager.

Portsmouth: Black Cat stout on cask was pretty nice. Bottle Rocket IPA (6.5%0 and Imperial IPA were both very good. I loved the imperial "..utilizing all aspects of hopping. In the mash tun, as well as the kettle, whirlpool, fermenter, and dry hopped. 9.1%."

Smuttynose Big A IPA "Big-ass west coast style double IPA, loads of hops in the kettle and dry-hopped up the ass at 120 IBU. 9.2%". sweeet.

Stone: the 2007 Imperial Russian Stout was good, but not all that surprising. Old Guardian was great as always.

Stoudt's double bock was pretty nice. however, they don't have a double bock listed, so maybe it was actually the Pils or the Barleywine. Anyway, one of those was good.

Saint Louis Brewery (Schlafly):
coffee stout, oatmeal stout w/ local espresso. was tasty and definitely caffeinated. bourbon stout is also unlisted, but it was good.

There was more, but I don't remember. All I know is that I ended up with my beer on my head. I also remember not paying for my Belgian waffle, so it was all good in the end. And I don't mean I blacked out or got hazy. My memory is just that bad. All the time. mrr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home