Saturday, December 09, 2006

Harpoon IPA revisited

From BEER_webalbum


I still prefer a MOJITO for drunkening
From BEER_webalbum




At the Flying Saucer in Nashville, home of the famous Monday $2.50 "Pint Night," (was that what they called it? or was that the Rocket in London (pound pints... sweet)), anyway at this pseudo-beer-oriented bar, one can choose from hundreds of taps, and one of the highly-touted IPAs was Harpoon's. I had had it at the brewery in Boston, and the first, second, and maybe even the third time I tried it in Nashville, I thought that they poured the wrong beer because it was so mild and un-exceptional. I bought a 12 pack, and I've established clearly that it's mild and un-exceptional. However, it is relatively cheap, and it must be placed in the category of 'good' IPAs. It's very well balanced. There is some malt, but of course the hops are the prominent flavor. It's not very bitter - nothing like a dry-hop. I'm spoiled and my tastes are extreme, but I must say I DO enjoy drinking Harpoon IPA, and I think it's very different off the tap at the brewery. My theory is that they don't pasteurize the beer that they serve at the brewery, because I swear it was better there. To their credit, Harpoon's 04 and 05 special cold-ones (I think they were rasberry and then an imperial stout) were exceptional. I would love to have another bottle of that imperial. So, in the end, Harpoon is a quality and trustworthy brewery. UFO and Winter Warmer are reasonably good for what they are. I've never had anything 'bad' from them, and their IPA serves as an easy transition point for entry-level hop freaks.

2 Comments:

Blogger quill7111 said...

The one thing that stands out for me in the Harpoon is the intensely floral hop nose. Kinda like drinking a flower. Except that it's beer which makes it better than drinking a flower.

It is certainly a pleasant IPA if one is looking for one's IPAs to be 'pleasant' and not face-meltingly bitter.

9:27 AM  
Blogger FretlessC said...

well said.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home