Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Redhook ESB

From BEER_webalbum

I just thought it might be worthwhile to give this old standard a tip of the hat.
Not surprisingly, BA doesn't rate it particularly high (81: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1330/1119), but as far as I can tell it's the only good, cheap, widely available domestic. As with all beers that are available at any local 7-11, it tends to have been sitting in the shop for way too long, but even when stale, this beats any other beer you can get for $1 a bottle, at least in Boston.
The aroma and flavor are so familiar that I have a hard time describing them objectively. Honestly, this cold one smells and tastes like drinking beer. Despite its name, the predominant flavor for me is malt. It's sweet, but not sugary. The bitterness balances these flavors and makes this beer distinctive.
Honestly, I put it above such standards as Heineken (as exported to America), Sam Adams Boston Lager, and certainly anything coming out of Milwaukee or the midwest general.
If anyone finds another beer in this price range that's this good, please let me know.
Two thumbs up from me, because without this cold one my wallet would be considerably lighter.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home