Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Heavy Seas: Loose Cannon triple IPA (?)

Clipper City: Heavy Seas: Loose Cannon IPA^3


ClipperCity's Heavy Seas site
I would call this a triple IPA by taste, but it's called an American IPA by Beer Advocate: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/898/25755. I'm running out of things to say about these kind of IPAs. Great, flowery aroma and of course lots of dry hops. Comparable to Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, but somehow different.
I don't feel like writing about this, but it's damned tasty and certainly worth buying a six pack. This is another great cold one in the American tradition of extremely hoppy beers. It's not painfully hoppy, but it tastes like hops with some warm maltiness.
Thumbs up. Drink it.

>> addendum: 2007-03-28 <<
>> On second pass, Loose Cannon hop^3 has a not-too-sweet, organically hoppy nose. As expected, little foam or foaminess. I didn't notice that this is apparently bottle conditioned. I can't see the yeast, but then again it did just come out of my backpack which just came off my bike which drove through pot-hol-y Boston streets, so it's pretty shook up. Mouthfeel is (sorry for the ambiguous term, but I like it) bright with little spare bubbles here and there. Not very fizzy, but still feels a little like fizzy table water or something and makes me burp. This is not an accurate description, but hopefully gets the impression across. It's definitely not unpleasantly fizzy. I feel like, in terms of flavor, good strong IPAs like this have very similar flavors at different intensities. The (weedy) basil-y hop character comes through strongly, making this cold-one taste very green. The weed smell also comes across strongly on the nose, as the beer sits for a while. Warming, the bitterness comes out more up front with much more malt. Overall, a pretty unique and definitely very tasty cold one. <<

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home